Gentian violet is also known as crystal violet and has anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. It was once used far more commonly for its medicinal properties as a topical antiseptic and to treat a variety of conditions including yeast infections. The name is because of its color not because it is actually made from gentians or violets. Common medicinal uses include;
- mouth ulcers
- athletes foot
- jock itch
- yeast infections
- to mark skin for surgery
Use with yeast infections
As well as using gentian violet tampons treatment for candida, it is commonly used by breast feeding mothers when they have a breast infection and their baby has Thrush (oral yeast infection). It has a long history of safe use, and though messy is very effective at treating any form of yeast infection.
Finding gentian violet
Though it is not as popular as it used to be some pharmacies still carry it. Look in the iodine section of the pharmacy or ask someone that works there. If they do not carry it they can order it for you. You want 1 per cent concentration, and then mix that with either alcohol or glycerin. Only a small amount needs to be used at a time.
Using Gentian violet tampons treatment for candida
To make gentian violet tampons treatment for candida get some 1% gentian violet with water solution and mix with alcohol or glycerin. Then take a tampon and dip it into the mix and insert it into the vagina and leave for at least 30 minutes up to 3 to 4 hours. Remember this is a very messy though effective alternative treatment for a vaginal yeast infection. Have clothing far away and use thick pads to protect your underwear. Even so it is a good idea to use older underwear you do not mind getting stained just in case.
You can also use a swab to wipe around the outer parts of the vagina (the vulva including the labia and lips) where you may have symptoms such as redness, itching, burning and inflammation. It will fight the candida overgrowth there too, and will soothe you. Do a couple of times a day for relief from symptoms, though quite often women experience results after just one treatment.
These are ready made gentian violet tampons treatment for candida that can be found in some pharmacies and even some health food stores. Genapax do a tampon formulation already made, each tampon has 5mg of gentian violet. Insert into the vagina once or twice a day for one to two weeks. There is still the mess problem so be prepared.
- Not all species or strains of candida respond to gentian violet so if it does not work try another treatment.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to gentian violet do not use.
- Follow directions carefully.
- Complete the whole course of treatment – even if you have relief from symptoms after one treatment finish the one or two week course.
- Do not use regular tampons while using gentian violet tampons treatment for candida as they will soak up the medication in the vagina. If you start your period use sanitary pads.
- Usual dose is 5mg (one tampon) twice a day for 12 days.
- Do not douche.
- If you feel any burning, pain, irritation that was not there before the use of gentian violet tampons treatment for candida see you doctor.