Candida skin symptoms vary depending on where on the body the skin is affected. As well as looking at what those might include the information here will also look at some of forms of skin yeast infections, who are at risk and the causes. Since the main species of Candida that causes a skin yeast infection is Candida albicans, this article focuses on that specific fungus.
Types of candida skin yeast infection
Names for different skin yeast infections are given according to where they occur. The following are some of the more common ones.
This is what a yeast infection is called if it affects folds of skin such as in the obese, under arms, under breasts and the groin. These areas are usually permanently warm and moist (ideal for breeding fungus), and because the skin rubs or chafes against itself it can cause small abrasions that makes a yeast infection more likely.
Angular cheilitis also called Perleche
A yeast infection at the corners of the mouth – can accompany an oral yeast infection.
A yeast infection in the diaper area of babies, especially if they are not changed, cleaned and dried frequently enough.
A yeast infection in the nail fold where the skin meets the nail.
Erosio interdigitalis blastomycetica
A yeast infection of the webs of skin between the fingers.
Common candida skin symptoms
- Intertrigo candida skin symptoms include itching, redness, lesions or pustules around the main rash, inflammation, burning, leaking fluid, pain.
- Angular cheilitis has soften skin and cracks around the mouth and may be accompanied by Thrush symptoms inside the mouth such as white patches, bleeding lesions, pain.
- Diaper rashes like like a normal diaper rash at first but will not respond to normal diaper creams, are red, sore, the baby is likely to be fussy.
- Paronychia candida skin symptoms include swelling if the nail fold, some pus and discharge and the skin around the nail is soft.
- Eros interdigitalis blastomycetica looks red, the skin is softened, there is itching and discomfort.
Causes and those more at risk
A quick look at some of the causes of candida skin symptoms and who is more likely to develop them.
- Obese people as they have more skin folds, sweat more and have more moist and dark areas for the candida to overgrow.
- Diabetics with uncontrolled blood sugar levels.
- People who sit for long periods.
- People who have poor diets.
- Wearing tight clothing and synthetic fibers.
- Living on hot and humid climates.
- People with weakened immune systems.