When the digestive tract and intestines are healthy there is a balance in the billions of micro-organisms that live on you and inside you. There are a number of different types, some work for you helping you, some do nothing and some cause harm. Candida albicans are one of those micro-organisms. Nearly everyone has a small population of them but they do not actually cause any problems while their numbers are small. Candida albicans digestive tract overgrowth can happen when the good bacteria numbers drop. This can lead to a variety of symptoms and various types of yeast infections. So read on for more information about causes of candida albicans digestive tract overgrowth, symptoms and treatment.
How overgrowth can happen
Various things can cause a candida albicans digestive tract overgrowth such as;
- Hormonal imbalance caused by menstruation, pregnancy, HRT or oral contraception
- A poor diet high in sugars and refined and junk foods
- Broadband antibiotics
- Stress can alter the chemical balance of the body too
- Certain drugs and treatments like steroids or chemotherapy
- Certain health issues like uncontrolled diabetes, being very under or over weight, having a weak immune system
When you know what is causing your problem you can take steps to counter it or reduce the impact it has on your body.
Leaky gut syndrome
One problem with having an overgrowth in your digestive tract is that it has been linked to other conditions and in patients already weakened, may cause something called leaky gut syndrome. This is when the candida fungus perforates through the intestinal walls when it looks for food. These tiny holes allow the candida to enter the bloodstream along with other unwanted things like partially digested food particles. Candida in the bloodstream is known as a systemic infection and that can affect your internal organs and is a serious condition.
Symptoms of candida albicans digestive tract overgrowth
- Bad pms
- food sensitivities/allergies
- external forms of yeast infection such as anal, vaginal, penis, skin, nail, mouth, throat and so on
- weight problems
- mood swings
- sleep problems
- skin ailments
- memory problems
- muscle aches
- affects your ability to have sexual intercourse
What can you do?
- Take probiotic supplements to replace lost good bacteria
- Eat a healthy diet full of fresh organic foods, high in fiber and low in sugar, refined, processed and junk foods
- Drink lots of water
- Manage stress
- Use medicated or natural anti-fungal treatments after consulting a doctor