A penile yeast infection may also be referred to as a male yeast infection and is not a common problem but can happen. The best way to deal with any kind of yeast infection is to not have one in the first place, so here are some things men can do to prevent a penile yeast infection.
- Wear cotton underwear – cotton allows the skin to breathe and keeps it dryer down there.
- Avoid tight clothing or underwear – boxers allow air to circulate.
- Drink lots of water – water helps flush out unwanted toxins and excess yeast.
- Practice safe sex by using a condom – the main way a man gets a penile yeast infection is from unprotected sex with a woman who has a vaginal yeast infection.
- Preventative treatment – if your partner has a vaginal yeast infection and you have had unprotected sex with her, take some probiotic supplements, and get treated, whether naturally or conventionally otherwise you can enter a cycle of re-infecting each other.
- Avoid clothing or underwear when sleeping – it gives the region an opportunity to air out.
- Keep it clean and dry – avoid hanging around in sweaty underwear or sweatpants. Wash it properly and make sure it drys properly too.
- Changes in diet – avoid a high sugar diet as the fungus feeds on sugar.