A yeast infection can take form anywhere on the body that has the right conditions, damp and warm. Skin yeast infections can occur in places like the arm pits, under breasts, in the skin folds of the obese. Most forms however have similar or overlapping causes. Causes of a skin yeast infection can include;
- Chaffing, cuts or abrasions that allows infection to enter.
- Prolonged use of antibiotics – when taking antibiotics it is to kill bad bacteria that are making you ill, but antibiotics do know the difference between good and bad bacteria so it kills them all, allowing the yeast an opportunity to overgrow.
- Steroids weaken the immune system.
- Hormonal times like pregnancy, menstruation – imbalance gives the candida opportunity.
- Birth control pills – upsets the balance of hormones.
- Diabetes – can mean higher blood sugar levels and the candida feeds on sugar.
- Obesity – obese people have more folds of skin and fat that gives breeding ground for the candida.