The cause of vaginal yeast infections is a fungus known as Candida Albicans, which lives on the skin and in the vagina in all women, not just yeast infection sufferers. When conditions are made right for it, warm and damp, or the pH changes in its favor, the fungus grows. Though yeast infections may not be a serious condition they are very uncomfortable and embarrassing for women. Some even feel reluctant to visit their doctor and would rather use natural remedies at home. Therefore here are some effective treatments you may wish to try that are both oral and vaginal insertions that do not require a gynecologist.
How to cure a yeast infection:
- Yogurt is thought of by many as the best natural treatment there is for yeast infections. Use the good bacteria kind and make sure it is sugar free as sugar feeds the fungus and lets it grow more. Eat it and apply it on the infected area. Buttermilk also works this way.
- Another popular and effective method is with garlic. Garlic has antifungal properties and can be eaten or turned into a paste and rubbed onto the infection. There may be a an initial burning feeling but it will pass. It can also be used as a suppository – wrap a clove in some gauze and insert it for twenty minutes.
- Honey spread directly onto the infection also works and then rinse after fifteen to twenty minutes.
- A few drops of tea tree oil onto a tampon and then insert it up the vagina for a week twice daily. Like garlic it has antifungal properties.
- Some vinegar mixed into bath water and then soak in it. It has antibacterial and anti fungal components.
Some lifestyle changes and how to cure a yeast infection.
- Avoid synthetic clothing – cotton is best as it allows the skin to breathe.
- Avoid tight clothing particularly underwear like pantyhose.
- Keep the vagina clean and dry.
- Avoid perfumed products for that area such as tampons, condoms, clothes detergent, body wash.